Mira has always tried to make as little of an environmental impact as possible. The skincare industry is inherently wasteful and over indulgent. The shelfie trend of the past year where you take a photo of your bathroom shelf with hundreds of dollars worth of skincare and beauty products might be a thing of the past. I am here to help in any small way that I can to provide you with more sustainable options! Glass is more expensive to create than plastics, and just as difficult to recycle. The refill station at Mira is here to help solve some of these issues!
Reusing old jars and containers is an easy way to reduce waste and have a never-ending list of ways to repurpose them. It is important to use a clean container always when reusing containers for refilling. Keep in mind, your refill is as fresh as the oldest product remaining in your jar.
So make sure your jar or bottle is completely clean and dry when refilling with new product in order to avoid any sort of contamination. Here is a cheat sheet to help you sanitize your jars.
What You Need:
- Large Pot
- Distilled or Filtered Water
- Dish Soap
- Rubbing Alcohol or Vodka
- Wash containers (wash lids, jars, and pumps)
For Containers & Lids: Wash with soap and water.
For Pumps & Misters: Squirt soapy water through pump or mister, about 8 oz. Repeat with 8 oz clean water to rinse pump.
- Fill a large pot with filtered water until containers are covered. Bring the water to a boil and leave boiling for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow the water to cool completely before removing containers, lids, and pumps from the pot. Let air dry.
- For pumps & misters: Pump rubbing alcohol or vodka through 10+ times and allow to air dry.
- Store in a clean place or sealed container until ready to refill and reuse!